[mythtvnz] MPEG, Kino and DVD's

mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:34:34 +1300 (NZDT)

> On Saturday 06 January 2007 16:00, Steven Ellis wrote:
>> 1. Is the file from MythTV or another source?
>
> In this case yes.
>
>> 2. Have you taken a look at Avidemux2 ?
>
> No when you wrote this but I have now. The not having to transform the
> mpeg to
> dv is a vast improvement (not to mention disk space usage).
>
>> Couple things if you use Avidemux rather than kino.
>>
>> 1. You don't always have to re-encode. You can just cut the MPEG2 file=
..

> Which makes it a lot faster...
>
>> 2. If you do need to re-encode you can do a 2-pass encode based on fin=
al
>> file size.
>
> Which options do you recommend? From reading the avidemux wiki it looks
> like I
> need to set Video to Mpeg4 (lavc)

No, if you want a DVD you want MPEG2, not MPEG4.

If you are getting your MPEG from EITHER a Hauppauge PVR 150/250/350 OR
from a DVB-S (satellite) source then it is MPEG2 and quite likely is
either DVD compliant, or so close to DVD compliant that it doesn't need
any major re-encoding to make a DVD out of it.

I have to be pretty desperate before I make a DVD. Basically I only do it
for people who don't have a media PC.