[mythtvnz] MPEG, Kino and DVD's

Scott Newton mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 20:06:54 +1300

On Saturday 06 January 2007 16:00, Steven Ellis wrote:
> 1. Is the file from MythTV or another source?

In this case yes.

> 2. Have you taken a look at Avidemux2 ?

No when you wrote this but I have now. The not having to transform the mpeg to
dv is a vast improvement (not to mention disk space usage).

> Couple things if you use Avidemux rather than kino.
>
> 1. You don't always have to re-encode. You can just cut the MPEG2 file.

Which makes it a lot faster...

> 2. If you do need to re-encode you can do a 2-pass encode based on final
> file size.

Which options do you recommend? From reading the avidemux wiki it looks like I
need to set Video to Mpeg4 (lavc) and in the Configure set encoding type to
two pass and set my target size. And in the Audio change to FFm MP2 and in
the Configure make the bitrate 48 kbits. Do I need to change any of the other
options?

Thanks
--
Regards