[mythtvnz] MPEG, Kino and DVD's

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 06 Jan 2007 16:00:29 +1300

Scott Newton wrote:
> I hope this is not considered offtopic for this list.
>
> I have taken an mpeg file and have imported it into Kino and would like to
> covert it into a simple playable DVD. I'm currently using the Export -> MPEG
> tab with settings File Format = 3 - Generic MPEG2, Deinterlaced = None,
> Aspect Ratio = Autodetect and Output dvdauthor XML = Burn with K3b.
>
> In terms of quality/size etc - are these default options good? If not, what do
> other people use?
>
> And are their any good reference sites about what all these options actually
> mean in terms of size/quality?
>
> Thanks

Hi Scott.

1. Is the file from MythTV or another source?

2. Have you taken a look at Avidemux2 ?

Couple things if you use Avidemux rather than kino.

1. You don't always have to re-encode. You can just cut the MPEG2 file.

2. If you do need to re-encode you can do a 2-pass encode based on final
file size.

I tend to use Kino for editing DV files, and then pass the final DV
output onto Avidemux for rendering to DVD.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz