[mythtvnz] MPEG, Kino and DVD's

AlanP mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:33:43 +1300

At 10:27 a.m. 6/01/2007, you wrote:
>I have taken an mpeg file and have imported it into Kino and would like to
>covert it into a simple playable DVD. I'm currently using the Export -> MPEG
>tab with settings File Format = 3 - Generic MPEG2, Deinterlaced = None,
>Aspect Ratio = Autodetect and Output dvdauthor XML = Burn with K3b.

I just take the mpeg straight from Myth, demux it with Project X (check
www.doom9.org ), then strip out commercials with mpeg2schnitt (doom9 as
well.) I then burn the resulting files to DVD with "gui for DVDAuthor".

This process means that no transcoding or reencoding takes place. You don't
want to do either of those -- quality drops every time you transcode.
Demuxing just separates the audio and the video streams into two separate
files -- it doesn't alter the data at all, other than tidying it up a shade.

>And are their any good reference sites about what all these options actually
>mean in terms of size/quality?

Doom9 has some excellent tutorials and articles. Another site is
www.vcdhelp.com , don't know how well that site has kept up with the times.

--
Alan Podjursky                  ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth