[mythtvnz] mythtv and sky uhf

Jon Waite mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 00:53:42 +1300

You want the good news or the bad news ?

Good news - VMWare works fine as a front-end, on a sufficiently powerful
machine anyway, I've run it under XP to have a 'genuine' frontend available
for testing. Unfortunately the VMWare video driver isn't the best and
struggles with video playback (at least on my system). Keep meaning to try
it again with VMWare workstation beta 6 and see if things have improved any.

Bad news - VMWare 'guests' have no access *at all* to any PCI cards in your
system. They won't be able to even see that you've got capture cards
installed. It would be *theoretically* possible to do what you're attempting
with a USB tuner (as iirc USB 2.0 support made it into VMWare beta 6).