[mythtvnz] Freeview launch dates

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:37:52 +1300 (NZDT)

On Tue, February 27, 2007 1:39 pm, Alick Wilson wrote:
> Terrestrial =3D DVB-T, Satellite =3D DVB-S, Cable =3D DVB-C. (These are=
 the
> standard adopted in Europe and Australasia.).

DTT -> Terrestrial -> DVB-T in NZ
DTH -> Satellite -> DVB-S at present and possibly DVB-S2 for HD

> Will current generation of DVB-T cards commonly used with MythTV in NZ =
do
> HDTV, or does it require new generation of cards supporting DVB-T2?

They should work. The cards i'm testing can do the HD DVB-T transmissions
in the UK.

> Will Sky (or any other) broadcast HDTV on satellite? If so
> - does MySky box have HDTV capability or only SDTV?

Sky is planning HD in 2008. MySky is SD/MPEG2 only. There will be new
boxes for the HD network

> - will current generation of DVB-S cards commonly used with MythTV in N=
> do
> HDTV, or does it require new generation of cards supporting DVB-S2?

If Sky + FreeView follow Europe for Satellite based HD then they will use
DVB-S2. This allows for far better use of the spectrum freeing up space o=
the transponders. Hence new cards will be needed.

One issue at the moment is the DVB-S2 support is in a bit of a mess for
Linux, but should hopefully be resolved by mid 2008.

Steve