[mythtvnz] Re: Best type of splitter for Sky + MythTV DVB-S

AlanP mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:37:04 +1300

At 08:44 p.m. 5/02/2007, you wrote:
>Sorry I wasn't too clear about this, basically my setup doesn't work
>unless a dual power pass is used.  With my setup BOTH sky + mythtv are
>supplying power to the LNB.  As my mythbox and sky box are in different
>rooms, the splitter Sky put in passes power on both sides (so you can move
>the sky box between rooms, and it still works).

I'm not quite sure I understand -- you're using both vertical polarity and
horizontal at the same time?

I thought that one used 18v, the other used 13v, and trying to do both at
once on a LNB did evil, evil things to it? Does your setup shorten the life
of the LNB at all, with the Skybox and the DVB-S card fighting over polarity?

Currently I have a splitter with one power pass going to the Skybox, with
the non-powered ports going to my two Skystar2s. I'm not game enough to try
scanning horizontal -- I might try later, perhaps.

--
Alan Podjursky                  ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth