[mythtvnz] Best type of splitter for Sky + MythTV DVB-S

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 14:26:36 +1300

------=_Part_42507_1380707.1170638796743

On 2/5/07, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > On 2/5/07, *Steven Ellis* <steven@openmedia.co.nz
> >     > 1. Splitter with all ports power pass - can't record both
> >     FreeView and
> >     > Sky at the same time, presumably.
> >     Big problem - So can't do
> >

> > Does anyone know what happens if you try this? In my brief testing the
> > other day Sky seemed to work fine and FreeView was a bit stuttery, but
> > I'm not sure if that was a conseqence of trying to run both at once or
> > not.
> Doesn't work. Tried it, and you will loose reception on the V when
> MythTV selects H.

That's what I was expecting, but it definitely works for me. Using my TVs
PIP mode I'm watching Sky's preview channel direct from the Sky box and One
via DVB on MythTV right now.

There is some, problem is the rumour of them waiting for D1R so they
> don't need to go to HPol.

Any idea on dates? I found this thread:
http://www.dtvforum.info/lofiversion/index.php/t42292.html which has some
interesting info. According to "cyril" only half the NZ spot beam
transponders were incorrectly set. That answers my question from the other
day about how Sky could get away with broadcasting One and 2 unencrypted on
the Oz+NZ beam. They're not. They're using the 4 transponders on the NZ beam
plus two transponders on the Oz+NZ beam and all the stuff being broadcast to
Oz is encrypted. This also explains the mixture of H and V evident on the
FreeView multiplexes.

He states: "It has now been confirmed that all LNB's used now and in the
past by Sky are dual pol capable. However as one pol was all that was ever
intended there has been no provision for dual pol switching in aparments or
residences with multiple recievers, this includes MySky (aka IQ PVR), todate
simply splitters have been used with one feed from the LNB. However this is
easier to fix than sending a man to correct D1, its no different to when
Foxtel implemented dual pols a couple of years ago."

Anyone know what "dual pol capable" means in practice? Does this mean the
one LNB is capable of passing both H and V pol signals simultaneously?
Anyone know what's required for "dual pol switching"?

He also mentions that if D2 (or D1R) replaces D1 then D1 will move to 156E.
That would imply that FreeView would also end up on V pol transponders on
the replacement sat. So if that's the solution the problem should go away.

Cheers,
Steve

------=_Part_42507_1380707.1170638796743

</a> which has some interesting info. According to &quot;cyril&quot; only half the NZ spot beam transponders were incorrectly set. That answers my question from the other day about how Sky could get away with broadcasting One and 2 unencrypted on the Oz+NZ beam. They&#39;re not. They&#39;re using the 4 transponders on the NZ beam plus two transponders on the Oz+NZ beam and all the stuff being broadcast to Oz is encrypted. This also explains the mixture of H and V evident on the FreeView multiplexes.
Sky are dual pol capable. However as one pol was all that was ever
intended there has been no provision for dual pol switching in
aparments or residences with multiple recievers, this includes MySky
(aka IQ PVR), todate simply splitters have been used with one feed from
the LNB. However this is easier to fix than sending a man to correct
D1, its no different to when Foxtel implemented dual pols a couple of
years ago.&quot;<br><br>Anyone know what &quot;dual pol capable&quot; means in practice? Does this mean the one LNB is capable of passing both H and V pol signals simultaneously? Anyone know what&#39;s required for &quot;dual pol switching&quot;?

------=_Part_42507_1380707.1170638796743--