[mythtvnz] Optus D1 HPol - TV3/C4

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 16:16:43 +1300 (NZDT)

On Fri, February 2, 2007 3:59 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 2/2/07, AlanP <alan.p@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>> At 03:23 p.m. 2/02/2007, you wrote:
>> >Who's making these stupid decisions at Sky? Not making Prime
>> unencrypted
>> >doesn't make any sense either.
>>
>> That's about what I've thought, as well. Approximately all of the
>> Taranaki
>> area has Sky Digital (the most basic plan), PURELY because the analog
>> reception in rural areas is crap. As soon as they can get FTA digital,
>> Sky
>> is going to lose one hell of a lot of customers who don't like paying =
>> monthly subscription purely for free to air television. One way to get
>> new
>> customers would be to advertise the Sky-exclusive shows, and the only
>> really cost-effective way to do that for the most-likely-to-dump-Sky
>> target
>> population would be a single FTA Sky channel on which they can spam
>> endless
>> ads for their other channels.
>>

> I'd love to hear their justifications for broadcasting Prime over UHF
> unencrypted, but encrypting it on the satellite.
>
> But my main concern is the polarity issue. FreeView is launching in abo=
ut
> two months. I want to know before then if I am going to need a dual LNB=
. I
> don't want to go and get one and then find out that Sky have decided to
> switch to the horizontal transponders some time in May. Sky need to mak=
e a
> decision and a announcement before FreeView launches.

Prime is a commercial decision. Keeps a lot of people paying Sky because
they want Prime. I know a lot of people who will happily pay just to get
Top Gear etc.

H/V is a discussion between FreeView and Sky. While Sky stays V they have
more leverage over Freeview.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz