[mythtvnz] Optus D1 HPol - TV3/C4

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:59:36 +1300

------=_Part_14786_10649348.1170385176567

On 2/2/07, AlanP <alan.p@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> At 03:23 p.m. 2/02/2007, you wrote:
> >Who's making these stupid decisions at Sky? Not making Prime unencrypted
> >doesn't make any sense either.
>
> That's about what I've thought, as well. Approximately all of the Taranaki
> area has Sky Digital (the most basic plan), PURELY because the analog
> reception in rural areas is crap. As soon as they can get FTA digital, Sky
> is going to lose one hell of a lot of customers who don't like paying a
> monthly subscription purely for free to air television. One way to get new
> customers would be to advertise the Sky-exclusive shows, and the only
> really cost-effective way to do that for the most-likely-to-dump-Sky
> target
> population would be a single FTA Sky channel on which they can spam
> endless
> ads for their other channels.

I'd love to hear their justifications for broadcasting Prime over UHF
unencrypted, but encrypting it on the satellite.

But my main concern is the polarity issue. FreeView is launching in about
two months. I want to know before then if I am going to need a dual LNB. I
don't want to go and get one and then find out that Sky have decided to
switch to the horizontal transponders some time in May. Sky need to make a
decision and a announcement before FreeView launches.

Cheers,
Steve