[mythtvnz] FW: Wide screen setup

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:31:00 +1300 (NZDT)

On Fri, February 2, 2007 11:18 am, Alan Walls wrote:
> I was hoping the theme would generate an image similar to broadcast wid=
> screen, ie black bars top and bottom.  This would allow my TV to auto
> switch as it does today.

The theme is designed for widescreen LCD/Plasma output such as 720p and
1080i. There are two types of switching for CRT widescreen TVs.

1. Black border detection

2. Anamorphic signal detection

You really don't want to do 1 with MythTv as it will generally look crap.

Best way to deal with it is to setup your X config so that X knows your
monitor is 16:9, and set your TV mode to stretch to fill.

Steve