[mythtvnz] Introduction

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Mon Dec 10 02:21:43 GMT 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007 14:38:59 Phillip Baird wrote:
> Requirements are pretty simple as this stage - simply be able to record
> from the terrestrial free to air channels & play mpg3's.  So the
> configuration I'm looking at is;
>
> Mythbuntu 7.10 combined front & back in a single box
> WinTV PRV-350 (hardware mpeg-2 encoding/decoding being the main reason &
> good remote support)

I'd suggest a PVR-150, the TV output on newer Nvidia cards is better than the
PVR-350's output.

The MS MCE remotes are great and work well.

> NVidia 6500 (because it has component video output)

Any newish Nvidia is fine.

> 1 GB ram

Plenty.

> CPU Intel Dual Core somewhere around the 3GHz mark.

Plenty.

> 500 GB disk.

Should be plenty for a start.

> Things still to be figured out... (suggestions welcomed)
> - sound
> - motherboard

The Asus motherboards are pretty good value, usually have a coaxial digital
output as well as analog if that interests you. I like Intel based boards
personally.

> - case (needs to be black with a simple clean design)

The Silverstone cases are good for the money, darer than a beige box but solid
enough and pretty quiet. I have an LC17 which is full ATX.

> - dvd drive
> - wifi to hook into the lan/net

Wifi will work but wired will be better if it's a possibility.

If you have a dish setup then a DVB-S card would be a good investment.
Technotrend or Technisat cards are good and will work out of the box with
Mythbuntu. DVB-T is a possibility in the new year depending on where you are.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware