[mythtvnz] Introduction

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Mon Dec 10 01:56:39 GMT 2007

Phillip Baird wrote:

> Requirements are pretty simple as this stage - simply be able to record
> from the terrestrial free to air channels & play mpg3's.  So the
> configuration I'm looking at is;
>
> Mythbuntu 7.10 combined front & back in a single box
> WinTV PRV-350 (hardware mpeg-2 encoding/decoding being the main reason &
> good remote support)
> NVidia 6500 (because it has component video output)
> 1 GB ram
> CPU Intel Dual Core somewhere around the 3GHz mark.
> 500 GB disk.

Welcome Phillip - and don't bother with the PVR-350.  You won't use the
MPEG2 decoder if you are using the 6500/component out.  The decoder only
outputs via the 350's built in s-video/composite video port, you can't
use it as a co-processor.

Also I'd recommend a MCE USB remote & transceiver over using the remote
that came with my PVR-350.  Much simpler to get the MCE one working (so
there goes another reason for the 350).  Save some money and get a
PVR-150, and with the difference you could get a DVB-S card which would
be much more useful long-term.

  - Wade