[mythtvnz] PVR 150 irblaster and sky

Simon Green simon at simongreen.net
Sun Dec 9 09:02:35 GMT 2007

Thank you everyone for your help. I finally have got this going by
following the instructions at this page
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/IR-BLASTER-HOWTO.html,
using a serial IR transmitter.

Some modifications (I am about to e-mail the site author so they can
update their page):

 * I used lirc-0.8.2, instead of 0.7.2
 * As a result I needed to add the following line to the shell script
mv ./drivers/lirc_ttusbir    ./drivers/ledxmit_ttusbir

* Instead of creating /etc/modutils/lirc-ledxmit, I needed to create
/etc/modprobe.d/lirc-ledxmit
* I used http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/pace/RC-30 as the
contents of /etc/ledxmitd.conf
* I stuck the init script in /etc/rc.local rather than /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
* I added the following line[1] to /etc/rc.local (before the others):
/bin/mknod /dev/ledxmit c 72 0

End result, my serial IR transmitter now controls my sky box, and the
sky remote is no longer required. Hope this helps someone else later
on when they find this search in Google :-)

  -- simon

[1] there's probably a 'more correct'[tm] way of doing this with udev,
but the above worked for me.