[mythtvnz] Silverstone LC17

Greg Brackley lists-mythtv-nz at lucidsolutions.co.nz
Thu Dec 6 10:04:48 GMT 2007

> Has anyone else done a build with one of these? I just transferred my
> mythbox to one, and found it EXTREMELY cramped to work in. It still looks
> more capacious than other 'media' cases, though, and it looks VERY good
> alongside the stereo, DVD player etc.
>
> Recommended, but you dont want to work on it more than once.

I recently built a new frontend with one of these boxes (LC17S), with an old
nForce4/AMD motherboard. The build quality of the sheet metal is ok, but not
excellent. The front panel looks good enough (passed WAF test). I didn't
want a box with a big volume knob, as I plan to use an receiver. I found it
roomy as I didn't put a hard disk in it. I'm using iSCSI for the root
filesystem, and an internal USB flash drive to boot from (I was doing PXE
boot but that didn't seem to buy me a lot [I didn't figure out how to do
chain loading of the kernel from the iSCSI volume]). I am still having
problems getting the digital sound working...

As a cheap (not all aluminum) box, I'd recommend one of these.