[mythtvnz] HVR-4000, LIRC and channel changing time

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu Dec 6 03:22:07 GMT 2007

On Thu, December 6, 2007 3:58 pm, Graeme Woollett wrote:
> Steven Ellis wrote:
>> Graeme - What in particular were you after with regards to aspect ratio?
>>
>> Personally I'd like to override aspect ratio on a per program basis.
>> Hence
>> when I record a program that I know will be pillarboxed I can show it
>> zoomed on my 4:3 TV to avoid the black bars left/right.
>>
>> Steve
>>
> The aspect ratios that programs show up on the screen with vary
> depending on the Freeview channel recorded, wide screen is tolerable,
> it's when the picture has a 4:3 ratio but takes up only 60% of the
> screen or is pillar boxed that's most annoying.
> It would be nice to be able to tell myth what sort of  TV aspect ratio
> you have and have a set of rules of what to do with the picture so it
> fits best.
> It should be possible for mythtv to work out which aspect ratio it is
> being given...

This is a broadcast issue rather than a MythTV issue.

TV1/2/3/C4 are all broadcasting in widescreen 16:9 which means on a 4:3 TV
you get black bars top and bottom.

Some older 4:3 programs are broadcast pillarbox within the 16:9 frame.
Hence as far as MythTV is concerned it is getting a 16:9 image.

Hence what I'd like to to override the aspect on a per program basis so
that for pillar boxed shows it automatically uses 16:9 Zoom which fills a
4:3 screen.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz