[mythtvnz] Will I get better reception with DVB-T than analogue?

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Tue Dec 4 02:47:56 GMT 2007

On Tue, December 4, 2007 1:03 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> Sugarloaf is hazy and fuzzy for analogue. We haven't used an analogue
> tuner for years (except when the old Sky satellite tipped itself over
> a while back). For the last 10 years we have relied on Sky and more
> latterly DVB-S Freeview for TV.
>
> Is there any chance that DVB-T will do better than analogue-T? Is a
> matter of trying and seeing what happens? (Oh yeah I can imagine the
> wife's banter about buying a card that MIGHT work!!). I just somehow,
> and probably unscientifically, thought that if you could get some sort
> of lock the digital nature of the data might enable a clear signal to
> be received.

Some areas with little/no UHF will get DTT due to a couple of things.
1. Infill transmitters - infill works differently with DTT compared with
analogue.
2. Signal strength - The DTT signal is supposed to be using a reasonable
strength.
3. Ghost compensation - built into DTT

Hence some marginal areas will get a signal.

The other side is aerial and cable. Way too many people only have VHF
aerials with cruddy old cable.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz