[mythtvnz] Good parameters for mencoder conversion of TV3 Myth recording to DivX?

Phil Bertram mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:19:58 +1200

On Thursday 16 August 2007 6:25 pm, Matt Poff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to set-up a good mencoder command string to downsample
> and convert some TV3 recordings but i'm getting some weird aspect ratios
> with the result...
>
> The first string i tried was this:
> |mencoder -o FILE.avi -of avi -ffourcc DX50 -lavcopts vbitrate=750:vhq
>
> -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -vf pp=lb FILE.mpg
>
> But the results were an almost square picture area (squeezed
> anamorphic?) with a lot of black space around the frame. I tried using

I'm assumming this is when TV3 are broadcasting a 4/3 programme  in their 16/9
frame.

> the autocrop feature to detect  picture boundaries:
> ||mencoder -o FILE.avi -of avi -ffourcc DX50 -lavcopts vbitrate=750:vhq
>
> -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -vf cropdetect FILE.nuv|
see below........

> Still the same problem. The generated output is 720x576 in both cases.
> Does anyone have any settings they use to get correct aspect ratio
> transcodes from TV3 recordings?

Try using this,

mplayer -vf cropdetect FILE.nuv

mplayer will print out a cropping parameter eg. 528:416:96:82

then

mencoder -vf crop=528:416:96:82,scale=720:576 -lavcopts
vaspect=4/3:vbitrate=750:vhq etc etc add your other parameters as necessary

Phil