[mythtvnz] Good source for cables, connectors etc?

Robin Gilks mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:29:03 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi.
>
> My new myth box is currently dangling in mid-air between high tension
> network
> and satellite cables.  I'm thinking I really should replace the daisy
> chain
> of hubs and extension cables.
>
> First off, is it safe to chain lengths of RG-6?
> I've got a run of about 5m into the house from the LNB (which seems
> difficult
> to detach) that needs to go another 8m through a wall into another room.
> Then I'm planning on running through a surge protector, then another 1m or
> so
> into the card.  Is this going to degrade the signal to much?
>
> Assuming I can do that, where's a good place to get:
>
> RG-6 cable
> F connector gender changer
> Screw on F connectors
> Cat5E cable
> 8P8C (RJ45) plugs
> 8P8C crimper tool
>

> Anybody have any favourite outlets?  In Auckland if its walk-in only.

I'm in Christchurch so can't help with a supplier of parts but the RG6 run
is fine provided you use the correct F type in-line couplers.

My sat dish runs into a box in the garage (about 5m) where the original
terrestrial head amp, distribution splitter and phone krone block is. An
in-line connector takes it into my 'office' (about another 10m) where it
goes into a 3 way splitter (thinking ahead!) and hence to the Sky box and
DVB card. It used to run to the other side of the house, about 20m.

--
Robin Gilks