[mythtvnz] Tuning FreeView - can't lock transponder and FRONTEND DEVICE busy?

Bob mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 21:08:58 +1200

> > So I should be able to scurry up on the roof and rotate the LNB from two
> > extremes until I lock on to 12483 then bisect the angle and tighten the
> > screws?  Then verify that I'm getting the other transponders at the same
> > or
> > better signal strength.
>
> Using 12483H to get the lock is a real problem due to the uplink on 12483V.
>
> Basically use 12456H to get the strongest signal signal and then make sure
> that 12456V has no signal (known as cross pol null). Then 12483H should be
> ok.

Well, rough and ready seems to have done the trick... as far as I can tell.

By rotating the LNB until I got a lock on 12483H from both directions I
figured that about 25 deg clockwise was best.  It was previously at 0 deg.

Now I can lock 12483H, 12456H and the Sky transponders, all at 0 Bit Error
Rate, approx. 62000 Signal Strength and approx. 64000 SNR.

I can't check Verror values because of the buggy drivers.  I can't lock the
transponders on Vertical but you can tell something is there because the
polling FE_Status is FE_HAS_SIGNAL... it never locks though.

Once that was sorted I could watch/record off of either transponder... well
once I figured out that myth sometimes stored them with Vertical polarisation
even though they were scanned with Horizontal.  Curious but nevermind.

Anyways thanks for the help everybody.  I appreciate it.

Bob