[mythtvnz] two technisats and a pvr150

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 01 May 2007 07:49:37 +1200

Neil Bertram wrote:

>> I can plug each individual skystar into the dish and it works fine,
>> however, when i run them through the splitter, only one or the other
>> will work.
>>
>> My guess is there is a config issue in myth that I need to change.
>> Anyone else doing this that can advise what I need to set the second
>> card to (i'm guessing in the LNB settings or somewhere around there)
>> so they will play nicely together.
> My guess is that it has something to do with your splitter. Have you
> taken note of which card is on the power pass output of the splitter?
> Is that the one that works, or is it the opposite, or is it random?
>
> If your splitter isn't the type with a single power pass (or something
> fancier) then it's likely not suitable for satellite use. There's a
> possibility that some other kind of splitter may short the power to
> ground or something, which could kill the signal or trigger protection
> circuitry in the card.
>
> It could also be that the signal isn't strong enough to feed both
> cards, although satellite cards should be of a high enough impedance
> that this isn't an issue...
>
> If the power pass is all set up on the card that you want to control
> polarity (and I'm guessing you're only tuning horizontal on both cards
> anyway?) and that's not working, you might want to hunt for an option
> to turn LNB power supply off completely on the non-power-pass card. I
> haven't seen the option in myth, but I think one of the shell programs
> had it as an option so I guess some cards can do it...
>
> That's all I can think of (bar linux device node issues etc)...

I've had this working with a single port power pass splitter. Connect
just the power pass side to one card, check which card can tuner, then
in mythtv-setup untick the box that says "Open card on demand". Now this
tuner will provide the HPol lock. Cable up the second card and you
should be fine.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz