[mythtvnz] Epgsnoop and freeview

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 15:14:53 +1200 (NZST)

Has anyone been trying out epgsnoop on the freeview channels. I know at
the moment their data appears to be less reliable than Sky's, but given
how close we are getting to the launch it might be an idea to take a look=
..

Anyhow some initial feedback.

1. Some issues with the rating data. If I run the output through tv_split
I get the following error

missing 'value' element inside rating at /usr/share/perl5/XMLTV.pm line 1=
503

2. Channels aren't always present in the data stream.

Appears that C4 and some of the radio stations aren't always present.
Probably due to the ongoing testing.

3. PIDS.

Some of these are obvious, but others appear to have been allocated
1025 - Maori TV
1035 - TV One
1036 - TV 2
1904 - TVNZ Wide (will probably go away before launch)
1920 - TV 3
1921 - C4
1929 - Radio NZ National (currently limited data)
1930 - Radio NZ Concert

Another item of interest is freeview appear to still have PIDs 1037 and
1038 which Sky TV has recently re-used for the regional versions of Prime=
..

4. Reliable way to run dvbtune + epgsnoop at regular intervals

Anyone worked out a good reliable way to do this, preferably one that
checks to make sure that the DVB interface is available and not in use by
MythTV.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz