[mythtvnz] Divx recordings

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 05 Apr 2007 10:34:54 +1200

paul arthur wrote:
> have a look at http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=XviDEncoding
>
> i got it working without probs with myth 0.19 / knoppmyth
>
> best part was the "Job Options" menu - just select "Archive to DivX"
> and it just happened in the background.
> the script is easy to modify for other codecs. Its based on the
> myth2ipod script that allows a video ipod to sync with recordings.
>
> and as a test, I replaced a recorded program (from PVR150) in
> /myth/tv/...mpg with its divX compressed version, same filename- but
> the internal MythTV player couldn't cope. Mplayer however had no
> problems. I'll try again with 0.20 sometime.
>
> Any idea's on how to compress recorded programs - and keep them in the
> recorded programs list ??
Just use the built in transcoder to transcode to MPEG4. Then they stay
in the recorded programs list. I typically don't transcode off a PVR
card unless I recorded in a very high bit rate as you loose too much
quality. Recordings straight of DVB-S or DVB-T work really well.

Ok so its an NUV wrapper, but that can be easily changed to an AVI
wrapper if you need to export the file.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz