[mythtvnz] Re: DVB issues

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:18:33 +1200

On 9/29/06, Hadley Rich <mythtvnz@nice.net.nz> wrote:
> Also, to satisfy my curiosity and for my own future use, is there a reason you
> haven't tried the epgsnoop script that Andrew Bruce posted a while back?
> There was at least one report of it working well.

I had a look at it yesterday, finally. It helped me realise that what
I thought was Sky sending out the category data in the wrong field was
infact a bug in the version of tv_grab_dvb I was working from. So
there will be another release some time. But first I want to look at
extracting the parental rating data and optionally appending it to the
description. I don't think MythTV can use that data as it's presented
by the Python script (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

That Python script takes the category descriptions directly from
dvbsnoop, and that only knows the categories listed in the DVB
standard (and they're hard coded in there). So one or the other would
need modification to get Sky's non-standard categories. If David
switches over to the Sky NZ mapping file I set up you'll see
categories such as "Rugby Union" and "Cricket" which aren't in the
standard. So as it stands tv_grab_dvb at least has the potential to
give us more accurate categories.

Cheers,
Steve