[mythtvnz] channels

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 12:31:54 +1200

On 9/7/06, Mike Dilger <mike@mikedilger.com> wrote:
> No, just a Hauppauge PVR-150.  I had intended to get a DVB once there
> was DVB... is there DVB to be had?  If I get a DVB card now, will it
> work with new stuff that is coming out later?  Aren't there plans for
> new digital, but not actual specs yet?  I'm only vaguely aware of what's
> available, and I'd love to be schooled.

There is DVB to be had, both via satellite (same satellite as Sky use)
and via terrestrial broadcast (which I don't know much about, but
Steven Ellis can probably fill you in on).

In the case of satellite you need a DVB-S card. There are plenty of
folks here using Technisat SkyStar2 DVB-S cards (which can be had for
less than $150) with their Sky Digital dishes. Sky transmit One and
TV2 unencrypted and TVNZ have their own test transponder which has
One, TV2, Maori TV, NASA TV, Bloomberg, and a test widescreen channel.
See http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb1.html for a list of services on the
Optus B1 satellite. Naturally the quality is much better than non-DVB.

As to whether these cards will work with FreeView when that gets off
the ground, we don't know for sure. It looks reasonably likely though.

Some useful info is available at http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/Digital_TV

Cheers,
Steve