[mythtvnz] Diskless Frontend

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 22:41:25 +1200

On 9/4/06, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > Is that really a concern here at the moment? I guess HD-DVD and/or
> > Bluray will arrive here some time soon, but as of right now what HD
> > content is there?
> I personally don't see HD to be that far behind the digital launch
> especially if they follow the UK and go H264 over DVB.
>
> Plus with my current solution the HD up-scaling of the new FreeView
> signal is excellent, especially the widescreen channel, if you use DVI/HDMI.

The problem is content - AFAIK local producers aren't set up for HD.
Would TVNZ want to show HD shows from overseas when all their local
stuff is SD only? I doubt it. I guess Canwest might be more keen.
Would either company choose one HD channel when they could have (e.g.)
4 SD channels for the same transmission price? Especially when so few
people have HD ready equipment?

After all there's no reason why Sky couldn't broadcast in HD now. The
launch of MySky would surely have been the perfect time to also launch
HD. But they didn't.

I think HD broadcasts will start years after HD-DVD and Bluray start
to take hold in this country.

Steve