[mythtvnz] Tracking well supported DVB-S cards and MythTV

AlanP mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:12:16 +1300

At 01:16 p.m. 18/10/2006, you wrote:
>1. What Version Of MythTV are you running.

.19, KnoppMyth R5C7

>2. Which OS and kernel

Debian 2.6.something, I think.

>3. Any custom mods like specific versions of the DVB drivers

tv_grab_dvb. KM doesn't come with grab_dvb. .19 doesn't allow for weird
stuff, so currently MythTV is calling tv_grab_cz, which is a shell script
that loads another shell script that does the tv_grab_dvb stuff.

Everything else is standard KM, except I guess for my roms in MAME. King of
Fighters FTW!

>4. Which DVB-S card - make/model/revision

Technisat Skystar2 2.6D -- *two* of them! And they happily coexist, too.

>5. How well do you rate the card

Excellent, when the feed is good. When the feed is bad, the computer
crashes like a student on the comedown after a 24 hour LAN party.

>6. Any quirks to get it running.

It? Myth, the system, or the card? The card itself is pretty solid.

The biggest quirk of all, IMO, was having to run out and buy a PATA HDD. My
300G SATA-II was of no interest whatsoever to Linux, much to my surprise.

>7. Any bits that don't work (analogue capture/remote)

Hmmm... satradio doesn't work, but that's a .19 thing. DVD creation doesn't
work but again, .19 thing.

>8. Any extra notes.

My remote is a Technisat USB thing that acts like a keyboard as far as the
PC is concerned, so lirc wasn't needed *at all*.

>Steve

That's all I can think of. Feel free to ask questions of me.

--
Alan Podjursky                  ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth