[mythtvnz] paradise cable frequencies

Ralph Malph mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 04 May 2006 22:42:20 +1200

Hi.  I have a question, but ought to provide a brief introduction first, so
here it is.  Note anything I wasn't sure of I just made up.  Looking this
stuff up is hard work!
I decided to build a pvr after my video packed up.  I would have been easier
to get a hard disk recorder, but where is the fun in that?  I'm using an AMD
3.5 Gb running ubuntu kernel  2.6.12-9-amd64-k8 as a combined front/back
end.  I have a hauppauge 150 with composite input from a paradise decoder
and an nvidia-type graphics card with composite output into the TV.  I've
got an mce usb remote with built in transmitter.  The receiver works fine,
although the transmitter is not supported under lirc currently.  The picture
is acceptable, but poor and I can't change the channel.
My question is does anybody know what frequencies paradise uses for the free
channels on its cable?  I have a splitter on the paradise cable, one feed
going to the decoder, one going to the rf in on the TV, and one going to the
hauppauge.  I can watch TV1/2/3 etc on the TV without using the decoder, as
paradise doesn't encrypt these channels.  I can plug rabbit ears into the
hauppauge and get tv1/2/3 that way, but I can't tune the hauppauge into the
unencrypted cable channels.  I think I need to specify a frequency table
somehow, but I don't know how or which one to use.

Need more speed? Get Xtra Broadband @
http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,,202853-1000,00.html