[mythtvnz] Re: EPG data on hairy.geek.nz

Sam Hadley-Jones mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:48:29 +1200

> > I am personally happy to run something if someone has put in the effort
> > - to that end I have a machine seperate from my home PVR that has a
> > DVB-S card, and should be able to get a feed, and is hosted somewhere
> > reliable instead of at home :)
> >
> > At the moment, I'm somewhat busy to code that myself, tho.
> >
> > --
> > David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>

How about a central public read-only MySQL database instead? When you
think about it, it'd cut down on traffic a lot and it saves setting up
mythfilldatabase. Would have to have consistent uptime though. Anyone
think this is possible or am I just plucking?

Oh, I should've introduced myself as well a few weeks ago. I'm Sam
Hadley-Jones from Palmerston North (currently). I've been running a
KnoppMyth based mythbox for about a year now on a Shuttle SK43G just for
the media library. This week has seen a major upgrade with a new nvidia
6600, PVR-150, shuttle remote (PN31) and an extra 250GB SATA Seagate
drive. The drive was DOA though so it's being returned - that's the
second time I've had that happen from Super Cheap PC. Lesson learned -
if you're planning on an upgrade path for storage, start out installing
LVM, otherwise it's a nightmare if you don't have access to other
storage to swap partitions around on.

Does anyone else use torrents for grabbing US TV episodes? Currently I'm
just using (screened) btdownloadheadless which works well but a bit
awkward for adding torrents. Was thinking about making a web GUI in PHP
so I can add torrents while I'm procrastinating at work :) . Has this
already been done?

Sam.