[mythtvnz] MythTV installation advice wanted

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:43:04 +1200

On 6/18/06, Jamie Dobbs <jamie.dobbs@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> AthlonXP 2000

An XP 2000 should be fine for recording and playing back at the same
time with a dumb capture card, but you won't be able to add a second
one.

> 384Meg RAM

That's plenty.

> 30Gig HDD (will add more later)

Yup, you'll want more.

> Nvidia card with TV out

FX5200 or better? Anything older will cost you quality.

> The card I currently have is the saa7134 based Pinnacle PCTV Stereo.
>
> Given the range of distro's available I'd welcome some thoughts on a
> Linux distro to put on this machine. I have Fedora Core 4 around here
> somewhere as well as Gentoo, but am also willing to give others a try.

I use Gentoo and am happy with it. But use whatever you're comfortable with.

> I would welcome thoughts and experiences, esp. with regard to the
> Phillips based card as I have never been able to get it to work in Linux
> before.

I've got a saa7134 based card, a LifeView FlyVideo DV3000. It works
fine, no problems at all.

Steve