[mythtvnz] Sky HDTV to be DRM'd?

David Zanetti mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:26:11 +1200

--=-mQPy6j/jNUoUwl2wstzB

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 14:53 +1200, Toby Mills wrote:
> >What they're talking about is that their HD-capable set top boxes will o=
nly
> spit out HD using HDCP.
>=20
> Just so I can get my head around this:
> Sky will be bringing out new decoders to support their HD service?

Yes, nothing they currently have (mySky included) does HD. Will require
new set-top boxes.

> The new decoders will output HD using the HDCP protocol, so only TV's tha=
> support HDCP will be able to play the content in HD?

HDCP is purely used to protect the wire-level, pretty much. Only TVs
that support HDCP on their digital inputs will be able to display HD
content from the Sky box.

Downconverted from HD to SD will probably be allowed on non-HDCP
connections, but it's anyone's guess if that just means
Comp/SVideo/Component or HDMI/DVI lacking HDCP support.

> I'm guessing there are no HD cards that support mythtv that also support
> HDCP (or a hack to get around it)?

There are no HD capture cards I know of that support HDCP - it kinda
violates the whole point of HDCP so I wouldn't expect any.

> So in short what you are saying is the only way you are going to be getti=
ng
> HD from sky on a pvr in NZ is if you use their PVR or we find a hack to m=
ake
> the sky decoder think that the myth box is a HDCP compliant tv (looks lik=
> this is possible judging from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP_

I would expect Sky will come out with a new PVR capable of HD, the
existing ones have no outputs capable of HD. That's one PVR option.

I would not expect anyone to ship a card any time soon that _captures_
HDCP content. Getting a card that will originate HDCP stuff is another
matter, newer video cards will support that.

I'm sure there is professional kit to do this, but I doubt that's a
serious consideration for most people.

--=20
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration