[mythtvnz] Sky HDTV to be DRM'd?

Craig Box mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:56:37 +1200

>> Mr Wyllie could not say how many models were affected, but said
>> cheaper brands would be more susceptible. The sets might still be
>> compatible with the digital services offered by TVNZ and TV3.
>
> About the only channel I want from Sky is Prime. I'm holding off
> constructing my htpc until TV3 is FTA over DVB-S, so I can populate
> the htpc with DVB-S cards and one analog card for the Skybox, set
> permanently to Prime or something.

I was going to mention something about this, this morning; but then realised
that Sky have to have encryption on their stuff anyway, so as long as they
give me a set top box, I don't really mind.

What I do want, however, is to be sure the FTA stuff will be available to
all (especially with DVB-S cards in PCs).  It would be nice if Sky could
provide a card in a PC (with a smartcard inserted) could decrypt, but it's
not anywhere near as important as simple FTA.

Craig