[mythtvnz] TV-Output - 720x576

David Zanetti mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 07 Jun 2006 14:05:39 +1200

--=-DdfVGokgj/T3RnfXqVvu

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 13:40 +1200, Toby Mills wrote:

> I've been battling nvidia overscan for a long time.
> I've got it down to a 1cm black border around the screen now but I'd stil=
> like to get the overscan right and completely eliminate the border.
>=20
> There is heaps of stuff on google but it seems to behave eraticlly.

Yep, it behaves very randomly, across the same GPU on different boards
even.

Overscan is very poorly supported on GPUs prior to the GF4, it depends
entirely on what off-chip TV encoder you have. Some will work, some
won't.

For your GF2, I would suggest ignoring all the nvidia options, and
looking at nvtv. It may work better, or it may break everything. I had
the latter a lot on my GF3 Ti 200, but then the nvidia drivers magically
did the right thing with it's off-chip TV encoder eventually :)

On GPUs from GF4 onwards, the support is also quite variable, but gets
better the newer you get. My FX5200 does "okay", tho the TV-out quality
is not the best, but it overscans the way I want it to.

--=20
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration
Catalyst IT Limited