[mythtvnz] Minimum specs for PVR

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:13:56 +1200

>Hi guys... I've been lurking in this mailing list for several months and have
>played with several releases of Knoppmyth on my desktop PC but want
>to build up
>a dedicated PVR so I'm after a few tips.
>
>I don't want to build a huge system at this stage, I basically just want to
>build up a system to play around with and use to replace my VCR.
>Ideally I'd be
>after an ITX (or similair) based system in a small(ish) case with a single
>channel PVR150 and remote and a largeish HDD.
>
>Are any of the Via Mini ITX boards with onboard TV out any good with MythTV?
>Are these boards powerful enough to do a good job? What speed Via processor
>would I ideally need for a usable system or am I better looking at something
>else such as a P4/Celeron ITX board?
>

>    Cheers

I don't know how it goes as a B/E but I've got a M10K running as a
pretty sweet F/E.  Using the video out is fine, and when you enable
Via XvMC playback, processor usage drops considerably.  I'm using one
of the Via Sereniti 2000 cases, and the fan in the PSU made quite a
din.  I ripped out the whole unit and replaced it with a external
power brick and ATX DC-DC converter.  The CPU fan is quite noisy as
well, but putting in a fan controller can help with that.

Definitely worth a try, and if it doesn't cut the mustard as a B/E
you can always make it into a F/E for another room...

  - Wade