[mythtvnz] Re: Shuttle PN31 keymap with mythtv

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:22:24 +1200

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:59:06 +1200
Andrew Bruce <abruce@hope-st.ath.cx> wrote:

> I assume you are using this for your main MythTV remote?
>
> If so can you point me at the model and where you got it from - I'm sick to death of using a wired keyboard.

So is my wife. It seems to be incompatible with the lounge decor. She watches too damn much Living Channel. I had to "declutter" my computer stuff this weekend!

I got it at Computer Future in ChCh for $65.00. I have seen it online for $60.00, someone claimed they paid $40 but then couldn't tell me the website they got it from.

Tastech have them for $60, with a nice pic to show you what it is:

http://www.tastech.co.nz/tvtuners.htm
http://www.tastech.co.nz/details/563.htm

Almost any computer supplier should have one, it is a Microsoft MCE (Media Centre edition) Remote.

It has two bits, the remote itself and a receiver that plugs into the USB bus.

On knoppmyth you plug it in and the kernel loads the lirc_mceusb2 module. you then run the /usr/local/bin/lirc-reconfig.sh script, which detects the module is loaded and it just works.

If you are not blessed with knoppmyth then there are then two elements to a lirc configuration. You need a /etc/lircd.conf file - this tells lircd how to read the remote and as a result lirc will know by name which key you have pressed. A good lircd.conf file will have intuitive names for the buttons, loke "OK" for the OK button, "Play" for the right facing green arrow etc.

The other config file is lircrc. This translates button names to something mythtv understands. A typical example:

begin
  prog = irxevent
  button = Record
   config = Key R CurrentWindow
end

That tells lirc that when the Record button is pressed on the remote, lirc should send the "R" button to mythtv (well to the current window actually).

As I say with knoppmyth it is easy, if you have lirc going it should be easy by using a lircd.conf and a lircrc file that suits. If you can't find good examples of those files I am happy to post mine (they are just the knoppmyth ones)

> Alternatively, how would won go about getting the remote that comes with old Leadtek TV Deluxe cards working (I admit, I've never even done any research into how one of these may function)?

I don't know, the research may pay off. I would suggest looking at the archive for the main mythtv-user mailing list. The archive is right next to ours

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/