[mythtvnz] Building a new box using an ASUS A8N-VM CSM board

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:58:22 +1300

Steven Ellis wrote:
> Steven Ellis wrote:
>
>> Ok I'm in the process of building a new MythTV box from scratch. I'm
>> based in Auckland and will only be working with Terrestrial TV. I'm
>> starting this thread to keep track of my progress, and gather feedback
>> from other MythTV users here in NZ.
>>
>> Software
>> ----------
>> Knoppmyth R5A30.1
>> + Nvidia graphics driver 8178 (or latest)
>> + Nvidia nforce driver 0310 (or latest)
>> + any tweaks needed for the DVB-T tuner and PVR 150 cards
>>

> Ok I have a rough build working.
>
> 1. Install Knoppmyth R5A30.1 based on the NZ KnoppMyth wiki page.
> 2. Install nforce 0310 driver to get nvnet networking up
> 3. Install nvidia 8178 graphics driver to get video up.
> 4. Download and build 2.6.15 kernel based on the Knoppmyth build config.
> 5. Modify Lilo to boot new kernel using existing initrd.gz
> 6. Rebuild nvnet and graphics drivers using "-K" options to just build
> kernel driver for new kernel
> 7. Download most recent alsa driver to get sound working.
> 8. Run alsaconf to detect onboard audio.
> 9. Install appropriate powernow module "modprobe powernow-k8"
>
> Just need to tweak the video card settings and get a better program
> guide source that has C4 and JuiceTV. Only going to get the PVR-150 and
> SAA7134 based cards working for now. I'll look at the DVB-T USB tuner later.
>
> A bonus would be getting the IR unit built into the case working. It is
> a USB device and is detected, but I haven't got LIRC working with it yet.

Ok I need to tweak the alsa driver to get the audio to work without a
horrible buz.

Managed to get the DVB-T USB card working, and the ivtv 0.4.2 build
installed for the PVR-150. I've pulled out the saa7134 based card for
now as I was getting interference using it and the PVR-150 at the same time.

Also managed to get the correct powernow profiles installed so most the
the time the CPU is tunning at 1/2 speed and I can also run the fan at a
low speed too.

No progress on the IR sensor yet.

Main problem is the tuners all work on the command line, but MythTV
isn't seeing them. I just get a blank screen when I select watch TV.

Steve