[mythtvnz] Building a new box using an ASUS A8N-VM CSM board

mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:21:49 +1300 (NZDT)

>...64bit Linux OS for MythTV.

> I'd also be interested  in catching up with anyone else using  the  new
> Nvideo 6150/430  based boards.

No idea on that sorry.

> Core Hardware
All looks good.

> Capture
> ---------
> Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE - PCI
Loverly card - works very well.  If you can afford the extra, get a
PVR-500 instead.  The 500 is two PVR-150 cards on the same PCI card, which
allows you to record two separate channels at once, and to use the Picture
in Picture functions.

> LifeView Fly Video 3000 - SAA7134 based - PCI
Got one - didn't have a lot of luck making it work with my mythbackend.
So I bought a 150 instead.  That could have been that my backend was
underpowered (a problem you won't have!)

> Freecom DVB-T USB Stick
My gut feeling on this one is - don't spend a lot of money, and keep your
receipt.  USB is nasty enough, but cross that with DVB-anything and you're
just asking for problems.

To separate things - have you considered a separate frontend to your
backend machine, and you could put the DVB hardware on a slave backend.

> Storage
> --------
> 13Gb Base OS HD
> 200Gb Seagate 7200 RPM Media HD.

mythbackend:/# df -h
/dev/hda2              37G    2G   35G  94% /
/dev/md0              112G   36G   77G  32% /mythtv

Sounds quite good.  Supprisingly you don't need a massive disk for your
library.

> Software
> Knoppmyth R5A30.1
> + Nvidia graphics driver 8178 (or latest)
> + Nvidia nforce driver 0310 (or latest)
> + any tweaks needed for the DVB-T tuner and PVR 150 cards

I have the ivtv stuff running fine with my 150 card.  Can't comment on
anything else sorry.

Good luck!