[mythtvnz] Building a new box using an ASUS A8N-VM CSM board

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:52:50 +1300

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:36:04 +1300
Steven Ellis wrote:

> Ok I'm in the process of building a new MythTV box from scratch. I'm
> based in Auckland and will only be working with Terrestrial TV. I'm
> starting this thread to keep track of my progress, and gather feedback
> from other MythTV users here in NZ.
>=20
> At the moment I'm looking at using a 32 bit build, and migrate to a 64
> bit version at a later date. In part this is because there isn't a 64
> bit version of Knoppmyth. Unless anyone can recommend a 64bit Linux OS
> for MythTV.
>=20
> I'd also be interested  in catching up with anyone else using  the  new
> Nvideo 6150/430  based boards.
>=20
> Core Hardware
> ----------------
> Motherboard - Asus A8N-VM CSM
> CPU - Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 Venice Core.
> RAM - 512Mb DDR
> Video - On-board Nforce 6150
> TV-Out - Optional composite cable for on-board
> Audio - On-board with optional SPDIF out cable
> Case - nMedia HTPC100 M-ATX Home Theatre
> Network - On-board Marvel Gig-E
>=20
> Capture
> ---------
> Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE - PCI
> LifeView Fly Video 3000 - SAA7134 based - PCI
> Freecom DVB-T USB Stick
>=20
> Storage
> --------
> 13Gb Base OS HD
> 200Gb Seagate 7200 RPM Media HD.
>=20
> Software
> ----------
> Knoppmyth R5A30.1
> + Nvidia graphics driver 8178 (or latest)
> + Nvidia nforce driver 0310 (or latest)
> + any tweaks needed for the DVB-T tuner and PVR 150 cards

Hi, that looks like a nice collection of kit, I am thinking your biggest
problem will be noise. Just turn the speakers up a bit. WHAT? TURN THE
=2E..." - you know what I mean.

Just curious what you are going to use the DVB-T card for - does anyone
broadcast DVB-T in NZ?=20

As far as distros go, I am a gentoo kinda guy. But I'll still help users
of lesser distros in any way I can ;-)=20