[mythtvnz] Frontend on another computer

Robert Fisher mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 06:38:20 +1300

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 7:27 pm, Duncan Kennington wrote:
> This suggests you're running a different version of the frontend than you
> have on the backend.   If you have mythweb running, check the Backend
> Status page - the title for this (at least used to before they overhauled
> mythweb in the current SVN) show the backend version, it should be
>
> 0.18.1.20050510-1

No, actually after several hours of hair pulling and suspecting that I had
really stuffed things up (I was getting the same errors on my main MythTV
box) I found a post on the Gentoo Forums which got me going on the main
machine again.

Excerpt below.......

Apparently, MythTV likes to have both options for IP addresses set to the same
in the general setup, and it doesn't like to host a mythfrontend on the same
machine if you change the ip to an externally accessible one. Here's why I
figure this:

I originally had it setup as 127.0.0.1 for both IPs (master backend, and
backend IP)

Then, since I wanted to run a front end on my desktop machine upstairs, I had
to change the IP's to the externally accessible IPs (192.168.50.10).
When they are set this way, Myth Frontend on the machine running the backend
has trouble connecting to itself. However, if I changed the backend IP to
127.0.0.1 (the bottom option in the mythtv-setup menu), it timed out and
couldn't connect. On the other hand, if both IPs were 127.0.0.1, it seemed to
work.

--
Regards, Robert

Robert Fisher