[mythtvnz] DVB-S output

David Zanetti mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:33:59 +1300

--=-UvvJCo3gsRRJmSf2HWqR

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 22:00 +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 2/26/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> > My head is spinning. What signal is it you are actually recording? An
> > mpeg stream that has been piped through an encryption program? Do you
> > get this out of the DVB-S card?
>=20
> I'm not sure what sort of signal you'd be recording - I don't know
> enough about DVB-S broadcast. I'd guess you'd need to record mpeg TS
> at least. But I don't know if that is enough to recreate a broadcast
> signal that the Sky decoder could handle. If it's not they you'd need
> some other sort of capture device as well as the hypothetical output
> device.

Should be able to just record the whole TS as-is, and spit it back out
as DVB-S. It's probably not that hard to do, tho I can imagine a PCI
board to do the modulation is not cheap (just because most people don't
need one, not because it's hard).

But, I think that's the easy part. There's other parts I'm not convinced
would be so easily solved.

--=20
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration