[mythtvnz] DVB-S output

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:00:07 +1300

On 2/26/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> Ahh I get it, record the encrypted signal, and later use the sky box to
> decrypt it. Interesting thought. I suppose it depends at what level the
> signal is encrypted. And what the sky box internal OS would think about
> playing it back.
>
> My head is spinning. What signal is it you are actually recording? An
> mpeg stream that has been piped through an encryption program? Do you
> get this out of the DVB-S card?

I'm not sure what sort of signal you'd be recording - I don't know
enough about DVB-S broadcast. I'd guess you'd need to record mpeg TS
at least. But I don't know if that is enough to recreate a broadcast
signal that the Sky decoder could handle. If it's not they you'd need
some other sort of capture device as well as the hypothetical output
device.

I'm sure it's technically doable. I doubt it's doable at anything
approaching a reasonable cost. But I am just guessing.

Steve