[mythtvnz] DVB-S output

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:35:56 +1300

On 2/26/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@go.org.nz> wrote:
> > Just wondering if anybody had heard of/played with DVB-S output?  This =
came
> > about because I was thinking: It is a breach of T/C to decrypt sky your=
self,
> > but it isn't a breach to record encrypted channels.  So, how about reco=
rding
> > the encrypted channel, and then playing it back via computer -> sky dec=
oder
> > -> PVR150 -> TV screen.
>
> No problem. The Sky decoder at my house has the video out available as
> SCART, composite and UHF. It records with the PVR-150 fine. One day I
> will sort out an ir blaster to change channels on the sky box.

You've misunderstood, I think. Corrin's asking if anyone knows of a
device that can put a DVB-S signal onto a coax cable that can be
plugged into Sky. Essentially the opposite of a DVB-S tuner card. If
such a device were available then potentially we could use a DVB-S
tuner card to record an encrypted Sky channel and then at a later date
play that recording back through the DVB-S output device to the
decoder and then capture the analog output and display it via MythTV
(or whatever). So:
Sky signal->DVB-S tuner->HD when the program is on (but this will be
encrypted so we can't just watch it), and
HD->DVB-S output->Sky signal->Sky decoder->PVR-150 (or other capture
device)->HD->video output device->TV.
A bit convoluted but it would allow us is build a PVR that could
handle Sky's encrypted signals. The real benefit would be the
potential for recording more than one Sky channel at once.

But I don't know of such a DVB-S output device. I'm sure something
exists that is capable of this but I bet it is not cheap and I'd be
suprised if it were as simple as a PCI card.

Steve