[mythtvnz] Help spending my brothers $5K on MythTV

Gary Te Young mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:14:59 +1300

>The impression I had was 5K for MythTV system, TV and surround sound
>system. If that includes an LCD or plasma TV there isn't going to be
>much left for MythTV.

Sorry, my mistake.  So it's actually about $1.5K-2K on a MythTV system (less
the TV and surround sound).  The oem version of the PVR-150 is about $130 at
ascent.co.nz which isn't too much difference for hardware encoding vs
software encoding.  I really do recommend the hw encoding approach.

>Did you notice any visible quality difference between the PVR-250s and
>the dumb capture cards? I mean in terms of picture quality rather than
>dropped frames.

It has been some time since I made the comparison but I do recall thinking
there was a definite difference between the cards.  They were apple and
oranges though since I could only compress at 480x480 with the CPU
restrictions with software encoding but get 720x576(?) with the PVR-250.

Regards,
Gary Te Young

@Home Downunder Ltd
www.athomedownunder.com