[mythtvnz] Manipulating Program Guide Information

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:00:00 +1300

>On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 17:36 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
>>  I've just had another go (one of the rare gaps in the recording
>>  schedule) and I still end up with Animal Planet, CNN etc.  Looking at
>>  http://hairy.geek.nz/epg/service-ids.txt it appears that the card is
>>  only getting frequency=12707000.   Playing with the frequency in the
>>  transport editor resulted in either getting no channels found or the
>>  Animal Planet group.
>>
>>  Switching back to the terminal I spotted an error saying that the
>>  frequency was out of range (min/max 950000/2150000) when it
>>  successfully found the Animal Planet group, or no error when it found
>>  nothing.
>
>That sounds like the LNB settings are wrong. For Sky LNBs offset should
>be 11.3GHz fixed. I have LOF switch as "1" and both High/Low as 11.3GHz
>(11300000000 since it's in Hz IIRC).
>
>If the LNB settings look correct, then try tuning by hand using dvbtune.
>Pass the -f parameter as a _local_ frequency (ie, 950MHz to 2.15GHz)
>because dvbtune only understood Universal LNBs when I last checked.
>Conversion from the service-ids.txt is subtract 11.3GHz from the
>frequency listed there.
>
>If it still doesn't lock, you may have an unusual card with a different
>tuner than the driver expects. In that case, driver hacking might be
>required. But that case should be very rare. You might also have an odd
>LNB (Universal is most likely if it's not a Sky one), or confused
>multiswitch, but these are equally unlikely causes.
>
>Hope that helps. If anyone has suggested improvements to the DVB-S stuff
>on pvr.geek.nz, please feel free to edit it!
>
>--
>David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
>Team Leader, Systems Administration
>Catalyst IT Limited
>+64-4-8032233 +64-21-402260

Thanks David,

I've spent some more time with the machine today, and have managed to
get something working, but I'm not certain why it won't work
following the instruction on pvr.geek.nz

When I set LNB High to 11300000000 (113 with 8 zeroes) and save, when
I go back in to the input screen it has changed the value to
2147483647  which I think is the maximum for a 32bit signed integer
from memory.

So I tried setting Switch/High/Low all to 0, then went to do a
channel scan.  I did a full scan using 1183000 as the frequency and
found many transports.  Unfortunately all their reported frequencies
were the true frequency (12483000, etc).  So I edited them by hand to
local frequencies, and tweaked the resulting channel table to remove
all the non FTA channels.

Startup the backend and I can now get NASA TV!!!    Not the prettiest
way to get there, but it's working.  So if anyone has any ideas on
where I went wrong, or what's screwy with my system, I'm all ears.

System:
Athlon64 3200+
FC4 i386
Myth 0.18.1
MySQL 4.1.16

Actually I think I've just figured out what my problem is as I check
this message.  It's got to be a 32bit issue.  I switched to i386 at
xmas while trying to sort out some stability issues with FC4 x86_64.

  - Wade