[mythtvnz] More on HD WAS Pause between video files

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:04:03 +1300

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:13:04 +1300
Nick Rout wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:49:06 +1300
> Steve Hodge wrote:
>
> > On 2/8/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> > > If you work out mp4 format
> > > and an h.264/aac codec combination then you can probably knock another
> > > 30-40% off file size
> >
> > Any idea what sort of spec you need to play DVD-resolution h.264
> > files? I can't play h.264 HD content on my desktop which is an Athlon
> > XP 2000+.
> >
> > Steve

More on HD with h.264. I downloaded a movie trailer (Pirates of the Caribbean 2 (I have a 10 year old OK????)

mininova described it as "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Trailer 1 HD 720P"

midentify (from the mplayer suite) describes it as:

nick@sf ~/media/movies $ midentify PotCDMC.mov
ID_AUDIO_ID=0
ID_VIDEO_ID=1
ID_FILENAME="PotCDMC.mov"
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=avc1
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1280
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=532
ID_VIDEO_FPS=23.976
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=faad
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=mp4a
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=160000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_LENGTH=105

tcprobe describes it as:

nick@sf ~/media/movies $ tcprobe -i PotCDMC.mov
[tcprobe] Digital Video (NTSC)
[tcprobe] summary for PotCDMC.mov, (*) = not default, 0 = not detected
import frame size: -g 720x480 [720x576] (*)
     aspect ratio: 4:3 (*)
       frame rate: -f 29.970 [25.000] frc=4 (*)
   no audio track: use "null" import module for audio

ffmpeg tells me:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2, from 'PotCDMC.mov':
  Duration: 00:01:45.8, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 6290 kb/s
  Stream #0.0: Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo

So there is some real inconsistency about how these various tools see
the file. Anyway, neither mplayer nor  xine will play it on my Athlon
1133 with 512 MB RAM and nVidia card. I can kinda see what is going on,
and the sound is fine, but the hardware is clearly not fast enough to
decode that level of video. It jumps, freezes, blocks, basically
unwatchable except to get a general idea of what is going on. vlc
doesn't play the video at all, but I do need to update vlc from 0.82 to
0.84.

If anyone wants the file for comparison purposes, it is available via
bittorrent via mininova here:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/217282

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>