[mythtvnz] Pause between video files

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:13:04 +1300

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:49:06 +1300
Steve Hodge wrote:

> On 2/8/06, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> > If you work out mp4 format
> > and an h.264/aac codec combination then you can probably knock another
> > 30-40% off file size
>
> Any idea what sort of spec you need to play DVD-resolution h.264
> files? I can't play h.264 HD content on my desktop which is an Athlon
> XP 2000+.
>
> Steve

Those are not the same thing of course, DVD resolution is certainly not
HD. I can play mp4 files at near DVD resolution on my athlon 1133
desktop and i'm pretty sure they will also play on my myth box (epia
m9000). They are not necessarily full dvd 720x576 resolution, but
probably about 600x400 or thereabouts. I don't have a lot of mp4/x264
files about.to experiment with.

I couldn't answer what is required to watch HD, but there will certainly
be people on the mythtv-user mailing list who will bombard you with
statistics :-)

Certainly the more complex the codec, the more computing power is
required to play it back. However with Moore's Law, the reducing cost of
storage space, and the increasing efficiency of codecs, we will soon
get to the point where your entire movie collection can be stored on a
flash keyring.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>