[mythtvnz] Extracting EPG from sky

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:16:14 +1300

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 18:56:19 +1300
Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@go.org.nz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Short of buying a DVB card and splitting my digital signal, is there
> any way to get the EPG data out of my sky box?  I currently have it
> plugged into my PVR500.  What about Sky UHF?  I know I can download
> the data from the net, I'm looking for something that a C/D letter
> cannot terminate.
>
> PS: The local free newspaper contains TV listings, so it can't be
> that expensive.  Would people be interested in contacting sky and
> asking to purchase a legal EPG feed which we could then distribute
> amongst subscribers/  Probably via bittorrent?
>
> Corrin

bittorrent - a waste of time for this amount of data. the mechanics of
downloading the .torrent file every day, then firing up a bittorrent
client to get a 1/2 M data (compressed) is too much bother compared to
good old wget or curl.

I don't think Sky will be giving this away for any affordable price.
Use the existing internet sources is my advice.