[mythtvnz] Hello! And DVB-S woes...

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:24:46 +1300

Neil Bertram wrote:
> Steven Ellis wrote:
>> Tim, Donna & Erin Gibson wrote:
>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>>> You've had some fun then haven't you...
>>>
>>> Blind scanning will not work, what you really need to do is borrow a
>>> receiver already pre-tuned to stuff off B1/D1 and use your sat
>>> finder with that, best also get a compas and point the dish as close
>>> to the right direction as you can, similar frequencies of other
>>> satellites will make the finder go mad but if you try to tune Myth
>>> or a receiver it may not work.
>>>

>> One options is to use dvbtune under Linux to lock to the B1 multiplex
>> and then use the Sat Finder.
>>
> The satfinder is wide band (will go nuts if it sees anything from
> 950-2400MHz on the cable), so the only thing that's important is LNB
> hi/low band switching via the 22KHz tone I would presume. I'll try the
> scan lists you gave me Steven...
>
> I bought a compass yesterday, so I'll give that a go too.
>
> A friend has offered their sky digital decoder to test with. I suppose
> I'll give that a go, but I'm worried I might muck up their
> configuration if I have to set it up for my LNB (which has different
> characteristics to a stock sky one).. Anyone have experience with this?
>
> Of course, if anyone in Wellington feels like bringing their card or
> STB over, I'm sure I can return the favour in some way (beer, etc)...

Neil - you have exactly the same LNB as me. Try the following on your PC

dvbtune -t 1 -f 1883000 -s 22500 -D 0 -p v -m

or

dvbtune -t 1 -f 1883000 -s 22500 -D 0 -p h -m

At the moment they are doing hpol testing on D1 and the signal is stronger.

Then try adjusting the dish until you get a signal.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz