[mythtvnz] DVB-S and channel numbers

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:04:19 +1300 (NZDT)

On Tue, December 19, 2006 6:46 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 12/19/06, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, December 19, 2006 6:11 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
>> > I do this. My setup is Sky + FTA DVB-S. For example I have channel O=
ne
>> > twice
>> > in the channel table, once for Sky and once for DVB-S. Both rows hav=
>> the
>> > same channum and callsign (so both MythWeb and MythTV treat them as
>> being
>> > the same channel and they only appear once in the guides). They do
>> have
>> > different names, One (Sky) and One (DVB), but I don't actually find
>> much
>> > use
>> > for that.
>> >
>> > I have the DVB-S input's priority higher than the Sky input's priori=
ty
>> so
>> > recordings will happen on the DVB-S card if they can. I don't find a=
ny
>> > need
>> > to select a particular version of a channel, probably because I don'=
>> use
>> > LiveTV much.
>>
>> Yes i'm finding customer live in LiveTV for the first week or two and
>> then
>> seldom use it :)
>

> I think that's the most common development for users. There are still
> periodic flamewars on the main user mailing list over channel change ti=
mes
> though, so I think some people are just inveterate channel surfers.

Yes i've noticed this. The typical FTA DVB-T box in the UK takes a lot
longer to change channels than a normal TV/VCR. It isn't unusual to
overhear people taking them back saying they are broken as they pause
everytime they change channel.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz