[mythtvnz] Unoffical MythTV Plugins - which ones do you use?

Robin Gilks mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 00:04:14 +1300 (NZDT)

> Tom's hardware has just covered some of the unoffical plugins
> (http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/01/the_mythtv_convergence/) and I
> wondered which if any do people out there use, or would like to use.
>
> In the past I've used some of the MythBurn plugins as they came with
> Knoppmyth, but most of that is now taken care of my MythArchive.
>
> I've been looking at integrating MythStream as a way to handle some
> internet TV and radio stations.
>
> One of the biggest requests I get is for FM support, and sadly MythFM
> doesn't appear to be in development.
>
> By far the biggest request I got a BBT was for a full web browser, such as
> Firefox. How many of you actually use your MythTV box for web browsing.
>
> Lastly another big request was a full email client. Not too keen on this
> one. Risks are low, but might leave you open to a script attack that takes
> out yout MythTV box.

I've played with FM support in MythMusic (on a PVR150mce card) and as a
seperate plugin - the MythMusic changes worked quite well but then SVN
moved on and I didn't bother as the adverts on the local stations (CHCH)
are just toooo iritating for words!

Mythburn as observed has been replaced by MythArchive - I'm not a fan of
the GUI for it but it works well enough and I've knocked out a few backup
DVDs of series I want to keep.

MythStream is the one I make a LOT of use of. I've written parsers for the
BBC website that allow you to pick up the last 7 days of all 8 radio
stations the BBC broadcasts, as well as live and selection by genre, and
there is some VERY good content there. The parsers are a part of the
standard source distro now (he says proudly).

The other excellent coverage of MythStream is with Shoutcast sites. The
latest incarnation (0.17_2) allows for a menu driven from a text file to
select from some 80 genres, some of which have over 100 radio stations
under them. Cool Jazz while eating dinner is excellent or Mississippi
Blues late at night before going to bed :-)

There was a patch for Shoutcast support in MythMusic that I might dig out
again as there are one or two stations I listen to regularly that would be
easier to find from a MythMusic list (or favourite/playlist) than tracking
through several layers in MythStream (if only MythMusic supported
RealPlayer streams!)

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks